Running shoes manufacturers normally categorize the shoes they make into various sizes. All you will be required to do then is simply choosing the one that fits your foot size and shape. If the size of your feet does not fall into the average category, then finding the right fit might prove challenging. The people who are normally hard hit are those with narrow feet.
Running shoes are meant to be roomy and comfy for you runners; even in cases when the fit is not always decent. If the spaces between the shoes and feet are too much or too small, then you run the risk of developing blisters or even hot spots.
The best running shoes for narrow feet solve this problem and guarantee you not only performance but also comfort. The outline of these shoes is such that they are narrow to take the shape of your feet.
Due to the availability of numerous options, deciding on a particular shoe brand may prove difficult for some people. To help you out, this article will articulate on running shoes for narrow feet, furnishing you with all the right information you need to know before buying any shoes.
Features you need to consider before buying a running shoe for narrow feet.
When setting out for your shoe buying expeditions, you should be aware of the fact that not all shoes you find will perform as you might wish. It is, therefore, a good idea to set preferences beforehand. These features help a lot in eventually getting the pair of shoes that ticks in all the right places for you.
Here are some of the vital features that you should consider before buying any running shoes.
During your running expeditions, you are definitely bound to sweat. Nothing spoils a running exercise more than soggy shoes from sweat. To ensure you do not get yourself in such a scenario, consider shoes that can allow in fresh air and expel hot air from your feet.
How then do you tell a running shoe is breathable or not? This is very simple. Look for the presence of mesh uppers in the pair of shoes. These will give you the most efficient breathability in the shoes.
There are also some other shoe types with a feature for wicking away any moisture formed in the shoes. This feature works in combination with the breathable upper. Proper ventilation eliminates the occurrence of blisters and irritations on your foot.
How much comfort one needs when running is a matter of choice and personal preference. Comfort depends on the amount of cushioning. This is different for different brands of running shoes for narrow feet. While some people prefer the maximum cushion approach, others prefer the minimalistic approach.
Cushioning is categorized into levels that you can choose from, depending on your own preferences. There are some features of the pair of shoes such as breathability and an inner lining that will have an impact on how comfy the pair of shoes is. Therefore, choose the right balance between these features.
3. Amount of room in the toe box
If you have narrow to very narrow feet, then the amount of space for your toes should be proportional to the feet size and shape. The space should be such that your toes are not too cramped together. How well your toes are spread in the shoes determines how comfortable your runs will be.
4. Adequate room for your heels.
In a much as your toes need more room, so does your heels. Because of your narrow feet, you need to find a running pair of shoes that has the right fit for your heels. The key is to succeed in finding the right balance between a tight and loose fit. Either extremes will make you very uncomfortable and reduce your performance during your runs.
No one in their right senses likes shoes that wear out prematurely, more so during runs. High-quality materials from which the shoes are made from determines how long they would last. Most of the running shoes are rated based on the mileage that you can use them for. Identify the brand and type with the longest mileage and settle on it, however expensive it could be.
A review of five of the best products in the market
The Brooks Women’s Ghost 9 is a running pair of shoes that is the successor of the previous Ghost 8. This product enables you to make more strides every day as you cover more miles. It has the high energizing cushioning to ensure maximum comfort as you exercise.
It has a mesh upper engineered to provide the best breathability and stretch ability. Your shoes getting soggy from sweat is, therefore, the very least of your worries. The shoes are made for road surfaces and glows with the American colors when in use.
This pair of shoes is made from lightweight materials to shed more weight for you as you exercise. In addition to this, there is a soft lining for that extra great in-shoe feel. The insole is made from foam and is removable.
This product has the omega flex grooves that allow for natural movement of your foot as if you were barefoot. The design is based on a universal size platform. This enables a universally accepted fit and function.
- It has a rubber sole
- Made of synthetic materials.
- This product has the neutral to supination support type.
- It has a high energizing cushioning.
- Highly breathable.
- Contains lightweight synthetic overlays.
- It has a soft shoe lining for comfort.
- A dynamic ride is made possible by the gender friendly cushioning design.
- It has soft blown rubber forefoot for cushioning and grip.
- Has universal fit and function.
- It has very decent cushioning
- It has an upper mesh for comfort
- It has a universal fit and function.
- Some products may fall apart after a short period of time
- Some people find the shoes uncomfortable.
The Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 16 is made for the road surface running expeditions. It has a differential of 12 mm to suit all your needs. This product’s theme is influenced by the London Marathon and a host of other international Marathons such as Boston and New York and spots the patchwork of the Underground London Tubes.
This product has lots of incredible features to protect your feet from various weather elements. It has a lightweight, breathable, moisture wicking and an Element mesh to ensure your feet are sweat free. The shoes are also designed to provide you with the right balance between cushioning and stability.
This product comes with a midfoot saddle that creates a secure and customizable fit. The linings are also breathable and moisture wicking to keep your foot dry throughout. The outsole is made from HPR which ensures durability in the areas prone to high wear.
- Made for road surfaces.
- It has the over pronation/stability support type.
- It is themed with international marathon colors.
- It has amazing moisture wicking properties.
- It has a removable molded insole made from foam.
- The Flextra rubber outsole gives varying degree of music.
- The gender friendly cushioning improves dynamism.
- They are very comfortable
- Gender flexible
- Can also be used to play tennis
- Contains too much padding
- The quality has reduced a little.
The ASICS GT-2000 4 Running Shoe is designed to strike the right balance between cushioning and stability. This forms the core of the bread and butter of runners. These shoes are fitted with dynamic duomax to ensure comfort ability. You also get the guidance trusstic system which enhances gait efficiency.
The rearfoot and forefoot are gel cushioned to be more adaptive to assist overpronators with greater support. The fluid ride midsole offer an ultimate comfortable ride. The only issue to be worried about when buying these shoes is how durable they are. The stitching can also release in some cases.
- It is made from synthetic materials.
- It has a rubber sole
- Its shaft measures low top inches from the arch.
- It has a breathable mesh
- It has a synthetic upper featuring heel clutching system.
- An exoskeleton heel counter improves fit.
- It has a comforDry sock liner.
- It has a both the rearfoot and forefoot Gel system for cushioning.
- The product has a Fluid Ride midsole
- It also has a Guidance Trusstic System
- Fit for large, narrow and flat feet.
- Very comfortable
- Fits great to your feet.
- Has a wide toe box.
- The durability is suspect
- The stitching releases in some instances
This is one of the best running shoes for narrow feet. The ASICS Men’s GEL Cumulus 17 Running shoe is a spring back from the older version. It spots innovative technology and materials to satisfy all the needs of runners from under pronators to mild overpronators.
It has a FluidRide midsole that reduces the previous version’s weight by 15%. It does this while still providing you with 20% more bounce back for that extra bouncy and smooth ride. The rearfoot gel cushioning is extended to suit the neutral runners.
The seamless upper construction has been revamped to give greater shock attenuation, while still reducing the chances of irritation and occurrence of blisters. This shoe is from the award-winning Gel Cumulus series and is the seventeenth version. The modern makeover gives you an assured comfortable ride.
- It has a seamless construction for a glove like fit.
- It incorporates the impact guidance system.
- It possesses the rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning.
- This product delivers luxurious cushioning and bounces back.
- There is protection from impact so that you can run for longer.
- Made from synthetic materials.
- Has a rubber sole.
- The whole length is gel cushioned.
- It has a high abrasion outsole
- It has a luxurious cushioning
- 15% lighter than the previous versions.
- Lasts longer
- Very comfortable
- Has good aesthetics.
- The treads break off easily
- Quite expensive
The ASICS Men’s Gel Venture 5 Trail Running shoe provides you with an assured great fit and comfort for all the everyday comfort. It possesses the rearfoot gel cushioning plus a rugged outer sole to withstand all the various terrains you may use.
This shoe shares the same rich history and heritage just as the other ASICS running shoe products. It has the same innovative materials and technology to adapt to all the terrains that your morning, evening or professional running activities may demand from you.
- Made from synthetic and mesh materials.
- It has a rubber sole.
- It has mesh and brushstroke patterned underlays.
- It is gel cushioned at the rearfoot.
- The removable sock liner allows the accommodation of medical orthotics.
- It has trail specific outsoles
- The lugs are reversed for traction
- Contains AHAR outsole rubber in areas that are subject to high wear.
- High wear areas contain AHAR outsole rubber.
- The sole is terrain specific.
- Contains rearfoot cushioning.
- It has a rubber sole to shed more weight
- Falls apart easily even after light uses
- Quite expensive though.
Those of you who have narrow feet normally face challenges in getting the right running shoes to exercise with. Their narrow feet require a unique design of shoes to ensure proper fit and comfort.
However, when you know what you want to look for, getting one becomes very easy. This is where the shoe features come in as illustrated in this article. The fit, comfort, and durability of the shoe should be given priority.
Finding the best products in the market is a real headache. From this article, you can now confidently identify and buy the best running shoes for narrow feet without making any mistakes.
Of the five reviewed products, the ASICS Men’s GEL Venture 5 Trail Running Shoe is your best bet if you want a shoe that meets all the set criteria. It is durable; fit is assured, can be used on any terrain and is also durable.
I hope this article has helped you as you set out to prevent blisters and irritation in your feet during running activities.