If you’re a fan of running and looking for some inspiration or entertainment, you’re in luck! There are plenty of great running movies available on Netflix and other streaming services that will get your heart racing and your feet itching to hit the pavement. Whether you prefer action-packed thrillers or heartwarming dramas, there’s something for everyone on this list. So, lace up your running shoes and get ready for an exhilarating movie marathon!
Action-packed Running Movies to Stream Now
If you’re in the mood for some adrenaline-pumping action, these running movies will keep you on the edge of your seat. Strap in and get ready for a wild ride:
- “The Maze Runner” (2014) – This dystopian thriller follows a group of teenagers trapped in a deadly maze, where running becomes their only means of survival.
- “Baby Driver” (2017) – Although not solely focused on running, this high-octane film features intense chase scenes with the protagonist, a talented getaway driver, showcasing his exceptional running skills.
- “Point Break” (1991) – In this classic action film, an FBI agent goes undercover to infiltrate a group of surfers who also happen to be expert runners, leading to thrilling chase sequences.
- “The Bourne Ultimatum” (2007) – The third installment of the popular Bourne series features heart-pounding chase scenes as Jason Bourne, a trained assassin, races against time to uncover his true identity.
Must-Watch Running Movies on Netflix + More
Looking for some running movies that will tug at your heartstrings and leave you feeling inspired? These films are a must-watch for any running enthusiast:
- “Chariots of Fire” (1981) – Based on a true story, this Academy Award-winning film tells the tale of two British athletes competing in the 1924 Olympics and showcases the power of determination and perseverance.
- “McFarland, USA” (2015) – Starring Kevin Costner, this inspiring sports drama follows a high school cross-country team from a predominantly Latino community as they overcome adversity and strive for greatness.
- “Brittany Runs a Marathon” (2019) – This comedy-drama tells the story of an overweight woman who sets out to change her life by training for the New York City Marathon, highlighting the transformative power of running.
- “Marathon Man” (1976) – A suspenseful thriller, this film revolves around a graduate student who becomes entangled in a dangerous conspiracy while training for a marathon.
Get Inspired with these Running Movies on Streaming
Looking for some running movies that will leave you feeling inspired and motivated to lace up your running shoes? Look no further:
- “Rocky” (1976) – While not solely focused on running, this iconic film series follows the journey of Rocky Balboa, an underdog boxer, who trains rigorously, including running through the streets of Philadelphia, to achieve his dreams.
- “Saint Ralph” (2004) – Set in the 1950s, this heartwarming comedy-drama tells the story of Ralph, a teenage boy who believes that running the Boston Marathon will help his mother’s recovery.
- “Running the Sahara” (2007) – This inspiring documentary follows three runners as they attempt to become the first to run across the entire Sahara Desert, showcasing their physical and mental endurance.
- “Without Limits” (1998) – Based on the life of legendary American runner Steve Prefontaine, this biographical film explores the intense dedication and passion that drove him to become one of the greatest long-distance runners of his time.
Top Running Movies to Watch on Netflix + Others
Looking for the top running movies to add to your watchlist? These films will keep you entertained and engaged from start to finish:
- “The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner” (1962) – This British drama follows a young man in a reform school who discovers his talent for long-distance running and uses it as a means of rebellion.
- “Personal Best” (1982) – This sports drama focuses on the lives of female athletes training for the Olympics, including intense running scenes that will leave you inspired.
- “Endurance” (1999) – Based on the true story of Ethiopian long-distance runner Haile Gebrselassie, this biographical film showcases his journey from a poverty-stricken childhood to becoming an Olympic champion.
- “The Long Run” (2001) – This South African film tells the story of a young boy who dreams of becoming a professional runner and represents the struggles faced by athletes in a racially divided society.
Hit the Ground Running with these Streaming Movies
Looking to hit the ground running with some thrilling and captivating films? These streaming movies will get your heart racing and adrenaline pumping:
- “The Running Man” (1987) – In a dystopian future, this sci-fi film follows a wrongly convicted man who must participate in a deadly game show where running becomes a matter of life and death.
- “Run Lola Run” (1998) – This German thriller tells the story of Lola, who has 20 minutes to find a large sum of money and save her boyfriend’s life, resulting in a fast-paced and exhilarating race against time.
- “Race” (2016) – Based on the incredible true story of Jesse Owens, an African-American track and field athlete, this biographical sports drama delves into his journey leading up to the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany.
- “The Jericho Mile” (1979) – This made-for-television film focuses on the story of a prisoner who discovers his talent for running while serving a life sentence, ultimately leading to a chance to compete in the Olympics.
Best Running Movies to Stream: Netflix + More
Looking for the best running movies to stream right now? These films will captivate and inspire you with their compelling stories and breathtaking running scenes:
- “Spirit of the Marathon” (2007) – This documentary follows the journeys of six runners as they prepare for and compete in the Chicago Marathon, showcasing the physical and emotional challenges they face.
- “The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner” (1962) – As mentioned earlier, this British drama tells the story of a young man who discovers his talent for long-distance running and uses it as an act of defiance.
- “Run Free: The True Story of Caballo Blanco” (2015) – This documentary chronicles the life of ultra-marathon runner Micah True, also known as Caballo Blanco, who dedicated his life to promoting long-distance running in Mexico’s Copper Canyons.
- “Prefontaine” (1997) – Another film based on the life of Steve Prefontaine, this biographical drama explores his rise to fame as a track and field athlete and his tragic death at a young age.
1. Are these movies only available on Netflix?
No, these movies are available on various streaming services besides Netflix, including Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney+.
2. Can I watch these movies for free?
Some streaming services offer a free trial period, and certain movies may be available for free with a subscription. However, availability and pricing may vary, so it’s best to check the streaming service of your choice for more details.
3. Are these movies suitable for all ages?
While most of these movies are suitable for a wide range of audiences, it’s always a good idea to check the rating and content descriptions before watching, especially if you have younger viewers.
4. Are there any documentaries about real-life running events?
Yes, there are several documentaries on this list that showcase real-life running events and the incredible stories behind them, such as “Running the Sahara” and “Spirit of the Marathon.”
5. Can I find foreign language films about running?
Certainly! “Run Lola Run” is a German film, and there may be other foreign language films on streaming services that explore running as a central theme.
6. Are there any inspiring films specifically about female runners?
Yes, “McFarland, USA” and “Personal Best” are two films that focus on the lives and achievements of female runners, highlighting their strength and determination.
7. Are there any comedy films about running?
Yes, “Brittany Runs a Marathon” is a comedy-drama that combines humor with a heartfelt story about personal transformation through running.