The route follows the orignal Mukamuka Munter race route in the southern Rimutakas, and involves running along the coast, up and down rugged rocky valleys and through some fantastic native bush. Starting from Orongorongo River mouth, the route heads East following the South Wairarapa coastline for about 12km. It then turns north up the Mukamuka Stream valley up to South Saddle. From there it takes the Mt Matthews Track northwards (DOWN) to the Orongorongo River. Once you have crossed the river everyone must take Big Bend Track on far side of river. After roughly 3km on the Big Bend track, take the Orongorongo Track, following Catchpool Stream, heading West, away from the river, to the car park, then follow the road to the visitor centre. It is an awesome route!
The Munter is one of Wellingtons historic off road runs along with Tararua Mountain race and Jumbo Holdsworth, having been first run in 2007 with winners including Liam Drew, Fleur Pawsey (Coast to Coast winner) ,Piret Klade, Bryn Davies, Chris Morrissey , Danny Garrett and Tim Sutton.
These items are mandatory and must be carried by all competitors at all times during the event:
- Jacket (waterproof with a hood)
- Emergency (Survival) Blanket
- Thermal (e.g. polypropylene) top and bottoms, of a size that can be worn by the competitor
- Warm Hat
- Topo-map covering the entire route
- GPS unit with built-in maps (e.g. Garmin Etrex 10), ViewRanger phone app, or equivalent.
Unit must have 1:50000 scale, or better, topo maps covering the entire route.
- Mobile Phone
- First aid kit
- Sufficient food for 1 day
- Water holders (bottles/bladder)
- Head torch with fresh batteries
- Personal Locator Beacon
Total elevation gain: ~900m
Estimated time to complete: 3-5 hours
Download route GPX file: Mukamuka Munter
Registration and Event Day Information can be found on The Munter website